Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Ultrasound


All night long before our appointment I had been so nervous thinking what if something is wrong am I strong enough to handle it, can Bradley. I had asked Bradley if something was wrong with our baby could he still love it, he said there was no decision to it, he would love it no matter what.

Tuesday - Jan. 22, 2008
Bradley picked me up from work this morning to take me to our Doctor’s appointment 18 weeks ultrasound to see how the baby is developing and hopefully get to sneak a peek to see if we will be the proud parents of a son or daughter. Bradley thinks it is a boy and I was thinking I am having a girl.

We got to the doctor’s office and we called back to the Exam room to start the ultrasound. The ultrasound tech asked if we wanted to know the sex of the baby and I said yes. She quickly moved the ultrasound device and there is was, no mistakes. I said it that what I think it is and she said yes it’s a boy, I looked at Bradley and said Daddy, you got your boy! Bradley was smiling from ear to ear. We got to see all the organs, see and hear his heartbeat, see him move and suck his thumb, I was starting to feel relief. Then I notice how the tech kept going back to the heart, I was like everything is okay, then the doctor came in and kept going back to the heart also. Once the ultrasound was finished Bradley and I were instructed to go into the chat room. The doctor came in and said that he was concerned about our little boys heart, he said the left part of his heart is not functioning the way it is supposed to and that he is referring us to a High risk OB-GYN for a level 2 ultrasound with Doppler to see the baby’s blood flow more in-depth .

My heart stopped, it felt like my world just fell apart, I couldn’t stop myself from crying. Bradley was holding me telling me it was all going to be okay and maybe the ultrasound was wrong.

I went back to work and everyone was asking what we are having I just broke down and said I could not talk about it right now and I needed to call my mom first.
I knew she would be waiting by the phone for my call as she thought it was a girl too. My little sister answered the phone and she said it is a boy or girl, I said a boy and I was still crying, she told my mom it’s a boy and handed the phone to my mom and said she is crying I think something is wrong when my mom answered I could not say anything but sob, she said, “Miss, what’s wrong?” I finally was able to stop crying for a little bit to mumble, “ it’s his heart they think there is something wrong with it, we are going to a high risk doctor in Lexington tomorrow. She said oh, Miss it is going to okay no matter what. We will all pray for him.


* So amazing how you can love someone so much that you have never met.