Sunday, February 5, 2012

The story of my feet hitting the ground


I have been worrying hard for the past month about Colt’s upcoming open heart surgery and how we were going to pay for this operation since we no longer have any health insurance, I had carried all the health insurance on our family through my employer HP since Bradley was self-employed and then when I got laid off, we got really lucky because with our Colt qualified for a medical card up until December 1, 2011. Then came the panic and worry, I received a letter notifying us that we made to much money with me getting unemployment, regardless that I am going to college full time, so I can get a graduate and get back to work. Their income guidelines are for a family of 3 is 37,000 before taxes and we were about 6,000 over the limit now. Me upset and in tears went down to the Cabinet for Health and Family Services and tried to explain our situation about Colt’s Heart and that he was going to have to have another open heart surgery and the lady there, flat out told me she did not care and that we made to much money. I was told by a friend to try to apply for (SSI) Supplemental Social Income for Colt since his condition (Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) fall in the Compassionate Care Allowance, that once approved for that he would get reapproved for a medical card regardless of Bradley’s and my income, sure they deemed him disabled, but again we made to much money for Colt to qualify, I would care less about Colt getting any money, all I was hoping for him to get medical coverage.
I found out that no other individual insurance company would cover a child only or let us add Colt to an individual plan because of his heart condition and then the one company I found turns out since he had more than 63-day lapse from his medical card till now, I would be wasting my time sending in his application they would not cover his pre-existing condition.

Yeah, good news in regards to the health care reform about covering pre-existing conditions, bad news it doesn’t go into until 2014.



Question: What material things would you give up to save your child’s life?


My Answer: I would give it all up, my house that the banks owns most of, my car, everything else is material and people aren't and they can't be replaced.


It’s crazy but I keep singing the song by the Newsboys.

GOD’s NOT DEAD, he’s surely alive, HE’s LIVIN on the INSIDE ROARIN’ LIKE A LION!

In my case, roarin' like a momma lion! I am not going to let this break me, I trust in my God, we will find a way!

Let the people in your life know what they mean to you and that you love them.

God Bless All and wishing you all joy!
Miss